Smithfield to Old Bailey

A walk from Smithfield to the Old Bailey.

Welcome to the City of London Corporation land.

Smithfield, properly known as West Smithfield, is a district located in Central London, part of Farringdon Without, the most westerly ward of the City of London, England.

Smithfield is home to a number of City institutions, such as St Bartholomew’s Hospital and livery halls, including those of the Butchers’ and Haberdashers’ Companies. The area is best known for the Smithfield meat market, which dates from the 10th century, has been in continuous operation since medieval times, and is now London’s only remaining wholesale market. Smithfield’s principal street is called West Smithfield, and the area also contains London’s oldest surviving church, St Bartholomew-the-Great, founded in AD 1123.

The Old Bailey. The Central Criminal Court of England and Wales, commonly referred to as the Old Bailey after the street on which it stands is a criminal court building in central London, one of several that house the Crown Court of England and Wales. The street outside follows the route of the ancient wall around the City of London, which was part of the fortification’s bailey, hence the metonymic name.

The Old Bailey has been housed in a succession of court buildings on the street since the sixteenth century when it was attached to the medieval Newgate gaol. The current main building block was completed in 1902, and designed by Edward William Mountford; its architecture is recognised and protected as a Grade II* listed building. An extension South Block was constructed in 1972, over the former site of Newgate gaol which was demolished in 1904.

Smithfield to Old Bailey
27 May 2023

All images © 2023 PauRos, All Rights Reserved.

Do not use the images without express authorization from the owner.